Thursday, March 20, 2008

TRAFFIC

The traffic in Los Angeles is perhaps worst in the country. At any given time, freeways across the city are jam packed with angry drivers screaming on their cell phones and honking their horns. I guess it is to be expected that a metropolis the size of LA has this type of unforgiving traffic. The freeways are the main level of transportation for millions of workers in the area. But my qualm is not with this ungodly traffic – make no mistake I hate it as much as anyone else- however my problem is with the never ending traffic we experience in this city.

I am a reasonable person. I understand that from 7:30-9:30 am Monday thru Friday and 5-8 pm traffic will peak. But what I simply do not understand is how the 101 and 10 freeways are jammed at 3:00 in the afternoon or 10:30 in the morning. These are not lunch hours. These are working times during the day where working folks should seemingly be working, not driving. I am from Seattle, a city stricken with traffic itself (top 5 worst traffic in U.S.) But the difference between Seattle traffic and LA traffic are the times. Seattle highways – like LA’s – are a nightmare during morning and evening rush hour. But during the day and even during lunch hour, one generally doesn’t have a problem navigating around the city. In LA though, the traffic literally never ends. Never. Where the fuck are all you city dwellers driving to at 2:45 on a Tuesday afternoon? Don’t you people work?”

No comments: