Thursday, March 27, 2008

My New Passion

Throughout my entire life, food has always been a wondrous passion of mine. I love to eat. Really any food other than meat I'll eat with a grand assault. Pasta, fish, vegetables, ice cream. I respect food and I enjoy it. But recently I have found a new passion. I have found a passion in the form of liquid. This particualr liquid is bith rich and calm. It is both refreshing and tasty. Full bodied and light bodied. It has hops and wheat in the form of lagers and ambers. It is my new passion. Before I turned 21, I hardly drank at all. In fact, despite my beard and older looks, I'd often order a shirly temple or coke at nice restaurants. But on January 21, 2007, all of this changed. That night I went to my local Ralphs grocery store, ID proudly in hand. For twenty exciting minutes, I searched the beer section left and right, and left again. I saw new beers I'd never heard of before; Pyramid's apricot hef, Shiner Boch, and Sam Adam's White Ale. I remember feeling anxious. I wanted to try them all.

That night I went home with a few different kinds. In response to my friend Ian's recommendation, I ordered Thai food to take out. He told me the spicy food matched the beer better than any other food. I must have had 8, 9, 1o beers. I was amazed at the refreshingly cold tastes of the different ales. Stella immediately became my favorite. Its tasteful, yet unfilling nature made it a perfect fit given my passion for eating. Ever since that cold winter night when I turned 21 my life has changed for the better. I am slowly becoming a beer connoisseur. And I'm loving every minute of it.

No comments: