Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Just shutup

The other day I was at a friend’s birthday barbecue. Let me be more specific. I was at my girlfriend’s uncle’s (who is also a friend of mine) barbecue. It was a nice event. Sean and his wife are expecting their first child in a couple weeks so the mood was extra festive. Everything was going well; we were interacting with her relatives and friends. Drinking beer of course was one of my imperatives. After our beer run, I engulfed a total of about ten Fat Tires and Heineken, ate two pieces of salmon, and had a piece and a half of carrot cake. At 3:00 the selection show for the NCAA Tournament came on and my attention immediately shifted to the television screen. After all, I’d been looking forward to this moment for the past three weeks.

The tournament is my pride and joy sporting event of the year (See: “March Madness” blog). A few minutes passed and CBS announced the four #1 seeds and was about to announce the rest of the field. Anticipation mounted as I found myself on the edge of my seat when one of Sean’s friends came up and sat down next to me. “Hey man, what you watching?” “The NCAA Tournament selection show.” “Oh March Madness! That’s awesome dude.” Just when I was hoping to relax and watch the show, I was hit with the one question I didn’t want to hear. “So how exactly does the NCAA Tournament selection work,” he asked. “Did my Kansas Jayhawks make it?” “Ugh” I thought to myself. Noooooooooooo. This barbecue was a five hour function and all I asked for was 45 minutes of peace and quiet so I could watch my show. For the next 45 minutes, I was peppered with questions about who is this year’s dark horse and favorite? I guess March Madness has started.

No comments: